- Half of winning is being in the right place at the right time
- Half of winning is knowning what to do when you get there, and then doing it
Strategy touches on both halves: knowing where to be, when to be there, and what to do when you get there. In one word: Intent. This can be in any context, whether it is winning the heart of a lover, developing a new technology, or achieving a business outcome. Execution is translating intent into specific, and aligned, plans / programs / action / feedback / iteration.
In a business context, there is a specific language that has evolved around strategy.
- Strategy Overview.
- Corporate Strategy (what businesses a company is in)
- Business Strategy (how a business wins)
- Business Model (how a business creates, delivers, and captures value)
Strategy sound bites
- The most important thing.
- Half of success is being in the right market.
- Strategy is about change
- The things you are not going to do.
- Differentiated positioning.
- The only strategy you have, are the things you are actually doing.
- The only strategy you have, are the things you have allocated resources to.