The Internet Innovation Stack is a framework for categorizing, tracking, analyzing, and telling narratives about innovations impacting the Internet.
A summary of the stack is shown in Figure 1.
The following provides a brief overview of each section of the stack, with links to more detail information, including timelines for mainstream adopting.
- The equipment we use to access the Internet.
- Already pervasively deployed: PCs, Laptops, Smartphones, Gaming Devices
- On the ascendency: IoT. VR, AR
- Approaches to moving information from point A to point B
- Already pervasively deployed: IPv4, IP/MPLS, Ethernet, BGP, OSPF, IS-IS
- On the Ascendency: EVPN, SR MPLS, SRv6, IPv6, pluggable optics, Netconf, Controllers, 5G, RIFT, SD-WAN, Quantum Networking,
For more detail, see: Internet Innovation Stack (Networking)
- Approaches to inspecting and manipulating information
- Already pervasively deployed: CPU, GPU, DSP, NPU
- On the ascendency: ML-training silicon, ML-inference silicon, DPU, Quantum Computing
- Approaches to information at rest / information storage and retrieval
- Already pervasively deployed: Hard drives
- On the ascendency: Flash
Information is included in the framework even though it is not a technology per se, but because a) it is a distinguishable thing from the technologies that operate compute functions on it, move it, and store it, and b) it has a special importance in the information economy, and most especially in the age of AI/ML; it has been called the “oil” of the AI/ML world. What creates it, who owns it, who has access to it, are all essential issues in the modern digital economy. The Internet has been referred to as the “Information Superhighway”.
- Approaches to provisioning and managing IT resources.
- Already previously deployed: DevOps
- On the ascendency: System Reliability Engineering
- Approaches to getting software code written
- Already deployed: closed-source & open-source
- On the ascendency: Not currently tracking anything
- Approaches to specifying and organizing code
- Already deployed:
- OS, hypervisor, VM, Containers
AI / ML / Analytics
- Approaches to creating/executing models for autonomous action and decision making
- Already previously deployed:
- Statistical analysis, machine learning, narrow artificial intelligence
- On the ascendency: General artificial intelligence
- Approaches to providing consumers and business goods & services over the Internet
- Already pervasively deployed: centralized social media, e-commerce
- On the ascendency: blockchain, cryptocurrencies, distributed applications
Government & culture
- The impact of regulation and social attitudes on the Internet
- Already pervasive:
- Information privacy laws, widespread mistrust of information & social media platforms.
- On the ascendency:
- Approaches to obfuscating or protecting information & applications from unauthorized use
- Approaches to creating, delivering, and capturing value
- Product, Service
- Purchase, perpetual, subscription, usage-based
- Not currently tracking